Driver for Realtek ALC56xx codec needed

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Tue May 18 20:35:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 09:13:53PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> The Realtek ALC56xx audio codecs are currently not supported by Linux
> and I was wondering if the Linux Driver Project can help with this.
> I briefly talked to Mark Brown, one of the main ALSA developers, to
> see how hard a codec driver is and whether it might be in the scope
> of LDP and he thought that a "CODEC driver for a simple CODEC would
> be a fairly good project for them, actually".  Mark also offered help
> (i.e. code review) if I can find someone who wants to work on the
> driver.

ASoC (embedded audio) rather than generic ALSA.  As well as code review
I'm generally happy to answer generic "how do I..." type queries if
people are getting lost (the documentation is not all it could be).
This applies to any driver for a subsystem I'm a maintainer for, FWIW.

> Anyway, according to
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=39&Level=4&Conn=3&ProdID=159&DownTypeID=1&GetDown=false&Downloads=true
> there are some other ALC56xx variants, most with a datasheet.  It would
> be nice to see what the differences are and to support them all; but the
> most important devices imho are the ALC5621 (used by the HP thin client)
> and ALC5623 (apparently used by some upcoming devices).

Note that with embedded audio the part numbers aren't always a good
guide to compatibility but it's definitely worth looking.