FW: Request for driver development

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Dec 6 21:22:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 04:15:12PM -0500, Mitch Szanyi wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> I will need to confirm what the ID's are as some use the Atheros default
> while others are changed to our internal ID's. The non standard frequencies
> may need some tweaking but I will also need to verify what specific chipsets
> you already have drivers for and what ones you may not.

Sure, just ask.

Or better yet, you can try out a latest kernel from www.kernel.org and
let us know which devices of yours do not work.

> As I am new in regards to working with the opensource community, may I ask
> if there is anything you may need from a company n our position as well? We
> have many customers working with opensource drivers for our devices as well
> as firmware packages and they are all pushing us to take a proactive
> approach to assisting the community, this assisting them.

For wireless drivers and devices like yours, it's best for you to work
directly with the wireless developers.  They can be found on the
linux-wireless at vger.kernel.org mailing list.

This is especially true as odds are, all you need is a few new device
ids added to the existing drivers, something that would be very trivial
for those developers to do.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h