Welcome to the project manager list!, again :)

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Sep 28 20:13:35 UTC 2007

As we have just had a bunch of new people sign up on this list, I
figured I'd send out the introduction message again, describing how I
think the project managers should be set up.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know, I am not set in this
structure at all, it's all I could come up with to start :)

yourself from the list, or ask me to do so, I will be glad to do it.

Here's the current status.

- We have about 15-18 people who have volunteered to be project managers.
- We have about 185 people who have volunteered to be developers.
- We have about 15 different companies who currently want drivers
  written for them right now.  I am getting about 1 new inquiry per week
  so this number is going up, although slowly due to my inactivity
  lately.

So, how do I expect this to all work out?

Here's a rough plan, please let me know if anyone thinks something else
would work out better.

We have two mailing lists, this one, and one for all developers (I'll be
subscribing people to that later tonight).  We have a web site and full
hosting thanks to the OSUOSL group, http://www.linuxdriverproject.org/
which is a wiki.  Take a look at the information there and if you have
questions, please let me know, or feel free to edit things and clean it
all up yourself.

I would like to assign the different company projects to all of the
different project managers, and have them be responsible for matching up
the developer(s) with the project and company, and generally being the
go-between for everyone involved, making sure things are progressing
properly.  This can be done through simple emails or if you are really
ambitious, phone calls.

I would like to start assigning the current projects to all of you as
soon as possible (tommorrow?) and will just post the list of projects
and ask for volunteers to manage them.  If no one picks up some of them,
I can handle taking a few as well as I don't mind assigning them to
people (sometimes that works better :)

So, any questions, comments, concerns?