Welcome to the project manager list!

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Jun 27 05:53:16 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 04:35:50PM -0400, Josef Assad wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:54:13 -0700
> Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >

> Hiya!
>

> > So, any questions, comments, concerns?
>
> Yep.
>
> So, a few questions to get up to speed. All off the top of my head:
>
> - Are there disclosure issues around listing projects on the wiki?
> (when there's concrete work in plain sight to be done, things often pick
> up steam faster!)

There might be for some projects, but for the majority of them, I do not
think so.  But this should be asked on a case-by-case basis per company.

And I doubt that much needs to be added to the wiki for each project,
the majority of work should be done through email, as checking a range
of web pages for status, doesn't scale very well :)

> - Does it make any sense to require or suggest common working formats
> at any level? Greg, you'll probably be hovering so if this initiative
> gets larger you'll end up appreciating not having fifteen different
> weekly status report formats.

Sure, we can suggest a format.  Here's what I use at my day job, and it
works well:

	Each week report your current status and what you are working
	on, dividing things into four categories:
		[RED]  - Things that are major problems that you need
			 help resolving
		[YELLOW] - Things that are annoying, or minor problems
			   that you might want some help with, but you can live
			   with it for now.
		[GREEN] - Things that went well and were accomplished.
		[TODO] - Things you are going to do in the future.

It's a very simple format and allows a lot of range for interpretation
which is always a good thing :)

> - What do you need to know about us to help you allocate projects
> better?

Not much, just if you are willing to start helping out.  The original
tasks will be to get some of these companies back in contact and to
match up companies with developers.

> - The kind of approaches we have been seeing on your end Greg, how
> work-ready are they? Meaning, how much advance work needs to be done to
> build awareness of what open source drivers really means to their
> hardware and their business, what kind of resources they ought to
> assign from their end for this type of involvement, etc.

It ranges everywhere from, "We have a Linux driver that just needs to be
cleaned up to get into a tree" to "What is Linux, our customers want us
to support it" to "We need all of our devices working with Linux
tomorrow!".

So far, they have all been totally different, no patterns have emerged,
unfortunatly.

I'm going to be at the Ottawa Linux Symposium this week, so email from
me is going to be light, or in bursts.  If anyone wants to get together
and talk, please let me know, that would be great.