[RFC] mm/gup.c: Updated return value of {get|pin}_user_pages_fast()

Souptick Joarder jrdr.linux at gmail.com
Wed May 6 12:21:39 UTC 2020

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 3:36 PM Jan Kara <jack at suse.cz> wrote:

> On Wed 06-05-20 02:06:56, Souptick Joarder wrote:

> > > Hmmm, seems a little shaky. In order to do this safely, I'd recommend
> > > first changing gup_fast/pup_fast so so that they return -EINVAL if
> > > the caller specified nr_pages==0, and of course auditing all callers,
> > > to ensure that this won't cause problems.
> >
> > While auditing it was figured out, there are 5 callers which cares for
> > return value
> > 0 of gup_fast/pup_fast. What problem it might cause if we change
> > gup_fast/pup_fast
> > to return -EINVAL and update all the callers in a single commit ?
>
> Well, first I'd ask a different question: Why do you want to change the
> current behavior? It's not like the current behavior is confusing.  Callers
> that pass >0 pages can happily rely on the simple behavior of < 0 return on
> error or > 0 return if we mapped some pages. Callers that can possibly ask
> to map 0 pages can get 0 pages back - kind of expected - and I don't see
> any benefit in trying to rewrite these callers to handle -EINVAL instead...

Callers with a request to map 0 pages doesn't have a valid use case. But if any
caller end up doing it mistakenly, -errno should be returned to caller
rather than 0
which will indicate more precisely that map 0 pages is not a valid
request from caller.
With these, 3rd return value 0, is no more needed.

That was the thought behind this proposal.