Hardware prerequisites for driver development

Crt Mori cmo at melexis.com
Wed Sep 25 08:32:02 UTC 2019

Hi Rohit,
There are many companies for hobbyists which sell sensors included in
IIO subsystem and for sure some electronic component store in your
local area. Price of sensor can be from 0.10 USD to 10 USD. Then you
plug this sensor to your Linux board (Beaglebone Black is Linux
Foundation preferred, although there are others including Raspberry PI
- can even be RPI Zero if you are on a budget, Odroid, Linaro, ...)
and you will need to provide correct voltage/current for the sensor.
Easiests is that you pick sensors which are 3.3V or 5V domains,
because you have pins on most Linux boards with this voltages and
these pins supply enough current for most iio sensors. Then you just
connect (wire) power pin on sensor to power pin on your board, and
then communication pins from sensor to board and ground from sensor to
board. Some addition into dts will be needed for the Linux to know
where your sensor is connected at, but then it should work as
plug-and-play.

I hope I did not miss too many steps in between :)

Crt