monthly summary emails

Dmitry Vyukov dvyukov at google.com
Sat Nov 23 06:00:55 UTC 2019

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 12:32 PM Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Dmitry,
>
> I help maintain drivers/staging.  Would it be possible to send us a
> monthly summary of outstanding staging bugs?  I never remember to check
> the website.

Hi Dan,

syzbot does not have such functionality. Maybe you seen +Eric's
emails, but that's purely manual effort at the moment. The issue to
follow for pings is: https://github.com/google/syzkaller/issues/550

But I am not sure syzkaller have any good coverage for
drivers/staging. In fact, now looking at coverage we report -- we
don't have any (except for android/{ion,ashmem}). So if you are
interested in drivers/staging quality, the first thing would be adding
syzkaller descriptions for code in drivers/staging, see:
https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/docs/syscall_descriptions.md#describing-new-system-calls
However, if the code is written in a way that makes untestable without
actual hardware, then syzbot won't help. But this also means the code
is not unit-tested and unit-testing is generally higher priority than
fuzzing (fuzzing is meant to find trickier bugs in a way that makes
them harder to debug and fix). If that's the case, then we need to
make it unit-testable/testable without hardware, which will ensure
some basic quality and will also open the road for fuzzing. Sorry, no
magic here...
Kunit may help with making code testable, see this for our recent
experiment for faking hardware:
https://groups.google.com/g/syzkaller/c/QyexLE6M3kM/m/Hwid5kk0CwAJ