[RFC] simple_lmk: Introduce Simple Low Memory Killer for Android

Christian Brauner christian at brauner.io
Tue May 7 16:38:42 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 07, 2019 at 09:28:47AM -0700, Suren Baghdasaryan wrote:
> [...]
> lowmemorykilled driver does now. You would have to provide measurable
> data and explain your tests before they would consider spending time
> on this.
> On the implementation side I'm not convinced at all that this would
> work better on all devices and in all circumstances. We had cases when
> a new mechanism would show very good results until one usecase
> completely broke it. Bulk killing of processes that you are doing in
> your patch was a very good example of such a decision which later on
> we had to rethink. That's why baking these policies into kernel is
> very problematic. Another problem I see with the implementation that
> it ties process killing with the reclaim scan depth. It's very similar
> to how vmpressure works and vmpressure in my experience is very
> unpredictable.

> > > It's even more odd that although a userspace solution is touted as the proper
> > > way to go on LKML, almost no Android OEMs are using it, and even in that commit
> >
> > That's probably because without proper kernel changes this is rather
> > tricky to use safely (see below).
> >
> > > I linked in the previous message, Google made a rather large set of
> > > modifications to the supposedly-defunct lowmemorykiller.c not one month ago.
> > > What's going on?
>
> If you look into that commit, it adds ability to report kill stats. If
> that was a change in how that driver works it would be rejected.
>

> > > Qualcomm still uses lowmemorykiller.c [1] on the Snapdragon 845. If PSI were
> > > backported to 4.4, or even 3.18, would it really be used? I don't really
> > > understand the aversion to an in-kernel memory killer on LKML despite the rest
> > > of the industry's attraction to it. Perhaps there's some inherently great cost
> > > in using the userspace solution that I'm unaware of?
>
> Vendors are cautious about adopting userspace solution and it is a
> process to address all concerns but we are getting there.
>
> > > Regardless, even if PSI were backported, a full-fledged LMKD using it has yet to
> > > be made, so it wouldn't be of much use now.
> >
> > This is work that is ongoing and requires kernel changes to make it
> > feasible. One of the things that I have been working on for quite a
> > while is the whole file descriptor for processes thing that is important
> > for LMKD (Even though I never thought about this use-case when I started
> > pitching this.). Joel and Daniel have joined in and are working on
> > making LMKD possible.
> > What I find odd is that every couple of weeks different solutions to the
> > low memory problem are pitched. There is simple_lkml, there is LMKD, and
> > there was a patchset that wanted to speed up memory reclaim at process
> > kill-time by adding a new flag to the new pidfd_send_signal() syscall.
> > That all seems - though related - rather uncoordinated.
>
> I'm not sure why pidfd_wait and expedited reclaim is seen as
> uncoordinated effort. All of them are done to improve userspace LMKD.

If so that wasn't very obvious and there was some disagreement there as
well whether this would be the right solution.
In any case, the point is that LMKD seems to be the way forward and with
all of the arguments brought forward here this patchset seems like it's
going in the wrong direction.

Christian