pidfd design

Christian Brauner christian at brauner.io
Wed Mar 20 18:51:57 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:38:35AM -0700, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 11:26 AM Christian Brauner <christian at brauner.io> wrote:

> > That's unrelated to the point made in the above paragraph.
> > Please note, I said that the pidfd api should work when proc is not
> > available not that they can't be dirfds.
>
> What do you mean by "not available"? CONFIG_PROCFS=n? If pidfds

I'm talking about the ability to clone processes and get fd handles on
them via pidfd_clone() or CLONE_NEWFD.

> > translate_pid() should just return you a pidfd. Having it return a pidfd
> > and a status fd feels like stuffing too much functionality in there. If
> > you're fine with it I'll finish prototyping what I had in mind. As I
> > said in previous mails I'm already working on this.
>
> translate_pid also needs to *accept* pidfds, at least optionally.
> Unless you have a function from pidfd to pidfd, you race.

You're misunderstanding. Again, I said in my previous mails it should
accept pidfds optionally as arguments, yes. But I don't want it to
return the status fds that you previously wanted pidfd_wait() to return.
I really want to see Joel's pidfd_wait() patchset and have more people
review the actual code.