kernel BUG at drivers/android/binder_alloc.c:LINE! (4)

Todd Kjos tkjos at google.com
Tue Jun 18 17:37:10 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 5:18 AM Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter at oracle.com> wrote:

> It's weird that that binder_alloc_copy_from_buffer() is a void function.
> It would be easier to do the error handling at that point, instead of in
> the callers.  It feels like we keep hitting similar bugs to this.

The idea is that if it is an error that the user can cause, it is
checked by the caller of binder_alloc_copy_from_buffer(). Most uses
are kernel cases where the expected alignments should be fine and it's
a BUG if they are not.

Admittedly, a few cases (like this one) have slipped through since
they cannot happen in Android (syzkaller has been very useful to find
our bad assumptions).

-Todd