Limits for ION Memory Allocator

Joel Fernandes joel at joelfernandes.org
Fri Jul 26 11:45:17 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 4:24 PM John Stultz <john.stultz at linaro.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 1:18 PM John Stultz <john.stultz at linaro.org> wrote:

> > > Yes, I do think that's the right approach. We're working on moving Ion
> > > out of staging and this is something I mentioned to John Stultz. I don't
> > > think we've thought too hard about how to do the actual limiting so
> > > suggestions are welcome.
> >
> > In part the dmabuf heaps allow for separate heap devices, so we can
> > have finer grained permissions to the specific heaps.  But that
> > doesn't provide any controls on how much memory one process could
> > allocate using the device if it has permission.
> >
> > I suspect the same issue is present with any of the dmabuf exporters
> > (gpu/display drivers, etc), so this is less of an ION/dmabuf heap
> > issue and more of a dmabuf core accounting issue.
> >

> Also, do unmapped memfd buffers have similar accounting issues?

The syzcaller bot didn't complain about this for memfd yet, so I suspect not ;-)

With memfd since it uses shmem underneath, __vm_enough_memory() is
called during shmem_acct_block() which should take per-process memory
into account already and fail if there is not enough memory.

Should ION be doing something similar to fail if there's not enough memory?

thanks,

- Joel