[HELP REQUESTED from the community] Was: Staging status of speakup

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu Jul 25 03:53:52 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 05:46:23PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 11:23:19AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > To readers of the linux-speakup: could you help on this so we can get
> > Speakup in mainline?  Neither Okash or I completely know what user
> > consequences the files in /sys/accessibility/speakup/ have, so could
> > people give brief explanations for each file (something like 3-6 lines
> > of explanation)?
>
> I have a recollection of documenting most of this on the speakup list
> the speakup mailing list archives aren't easily searchable, and I
> don't have a local copy of that mail.
>
> Kirk, doing grep with a few of the file names in
> /sys/accessibility/speakup against the list's mbox file archive should
> find that message if it's in fact there. If you can please find it,
> and post the date when it was sent, we can provide a URL to that
> thread as a starting point. If my recollection is wrong, and such a
> message isn't in the archives, I'll write up what I know about.

I've located the message I was thinking of in the archives, but that
describes some speakup key commands, not
/sys/accessibility/speakup. So, here's what I know, and hopefully
someone else can fill in the rest.

attrib_bleep
Beeps the PC speaker when there is an attribute change such as
foreground or background color when using speakup review commands. One
= on, zero = off. I'm not currently at a machine with a working PC
speaker, so can't test this right now.

bell_pos
As far as I know, this works much like a typewriter bell. If for
example 72 is echoed to bell_pos, it will beep the PC speaker when
typing on a line past character 72. Again, no PC speaker at the moment
here, so can't actually test this.

bleeps
Not 100% sure, but I believe this controls whether one hears beeps
through the PC speaker when using speakup's review commands. If no one
jumps in on this, I'll experiment when at a machine with a working PC
speaker, and will reply back with details.

bleep_time
Again, not 100% sure, but I believe this controls the duration of the
PC speaker beeps speakup produces. I'm not sure of the units this is
in either, possibly jiffys. I'll come back with more details on this
one if no one else does.

cursor_time
Don't know.

delimiters
Don't know. I've tried echoing various characters to this and looking
for differences when reviewing the screen, but no luck.

ex_num
Don't know.

key_echo
Controls if speakup speaks keys when they are typed. One = on, zero =
off or don't echo keys.

keymap
I believe this is the currently active kernel keymap. I'm not sure of
the format, probably what dumpkeys(1) and showkey(1) use. Echoing
different values here should allow for remapping speakup's review
commands besides remapping the keyboard as a whole.

no_interrupt
Controls if typing interrupts output from speakup. With no_interrupt
set to zero, typing on the keyboard will interrupt speakup if for
example the say screen command is used before the entire screen is
read. With no_interrupt set to one, if the say screen command is used,
and one then types on the keyboard, speakup will continue to say the
whole screen regardless until it finishes.

punc_all
This is a list of all the punctuation speakup should speak when
punc_level is set to four.

punc_level
Controls the level of punctuation spoken as the screen is displayed,
not reviewed. Levels range from zero no punctuation, to four, all
punctuation. As far as I can tell, one corresponds to punc_some, two
corresponds to punc_most, and three as well as four seem to both
correspond to punc_all, though I do stand to be corrected. I am using
the soft synthesizer driver, so it is possible that some hardware
synthesizers have different levels each corresponding to three and four
for punc_level. Also note that if punc_level is set to zero, and
key_echo is set to one, typed punctuation is still spoken as it is
typed.

punc_most
This is a list of all the punctuation speakup should speak when
punc_level is set to two.

punc_some
This is a list of all the punctuation speakup should speak when
punc_level is set to one.

reading_punc
Almost the same as punc_level, the differences being that reading_punc controls
the level of punctuation when reviewing the screen with speakup's
screen review commands. The other difference is that reading_punc set
to three speaks punc_all, and reading_punc set to four speaks all
punctuation, including spaces.

repeats
a list of characters speakup repeats. Normally, when there are
more than three characters in a row, speakup just reads three of those
characters. For example, "......" would be read as dot, dot, dot. If a
. is added to the list of characters in repeats, "......" would be
read as dot, dot, dot, times six.

say_control
If set to one, speakup speaks shift, alt and control when those keys are
pressed. Perhaps more keys are spoken, but those three are the ones I
found. If say_control is set to zero, shift, ctrl, and alt are not
spoken when they are pressed.

say_word_ctl
Don't know.

silent
Don't know.

spell_delay
As far as I can tell, this controls how fast a word is spelled when
speakup's say word review command is pressed twice quickly to speak
the current word being reviewed. Zero just speaks the letters one
after another, while values one through four seem to introduce more of
a pause between the spelling of each letter by speakup.

synth
Gets or sets the synthesizer driver currently in use. Reading synth
returns the synthesizer driver currently in use. Writing synth
switches to the given synthesizer driver, provided it is either built
into the kernel, or already loaded as a module.

synth_direct
Sends whatever is written to synth_direct
directly to the speech synthesizer in use, bypassing speakup. This
could be used to make the synthesizer speak a string, or to send
control sequences to the synthesizer to change how the synthesizer
behaves.

version
Reading version returns the version of speakup, and the version of the
synthesizer driver currently in use.

Synthesizer Driver Parameters
In /sys/accessibility/speakup is a directory corresponding to the
synthesizer driver currently in use (E.G) soft for the soft
driver. This directory contains files which control the speech
synthesizer itself, as opposed to controlling the speakup screen
reader. As far as I know, the parameters in this directory have the
same names and functions across all supported synthesizers. Also as
far as I know, the range of values for freq, pitch, rate, and vol is
the same for all supported synthesizers,
with the given range being internally mapped by the driver to more or
less fit the range of values supported for a given parameter by the
individual synthesizer. I will below describe the values and
parameters for the soft synthesizer, which I believe is the
synthesizer currently most commonly in use.

caps_start
I believe this is the string that is sent to the synthesizer to cause
it to start speaking uppercase letters. For the soft synthesizer and
most others, this causes the pitch of the voice to rise above the
currently set pitch.

caps_stop
I believe this is the string sent to the synthesizer to cause it to
stop speaking uppercase letters. In the case of the soft synthesizer
and most others, this returns the pitch of the voice down to the
currently set pitch.

delay_time
Don't know.

direct
Controls if punctuation is spoken by speakup, or by the
synthesizer. For example, speakup speaks ">" as "greater", while the
espeak synthesizer used by the soft driver speaks "greater than". Zero
lets speakup speak the punctuation. One lets the synthesizer itself
speak punctuation.

freq
Gets or sets the frequency of the speech synthesizer. Range is 0-9.

full_time
Don't know.

jiffy_delta
As far as I know, this controls how many jiffys the kernel gives to
the synthesizer. I seem to recall Kirk saying that setting this too
high can make a system unstable, or even crash it.

pitch
Gets or sets the pitch of the synthesizer. The range is 0-9.

punct
Gets or sets the amount of punctuation spoken by the synthesizer. The
range for the soft driver seems to be 0-2. I'm not exactly sure how
this relates to speakup's punc_level, or reading_punc

rate
Gets or sets the rate of the synthesizer. Range is from zero slowest,
to nine fastest.

tone
Gets or sets the tone of the speech synthesizer. The range for the
soft driver seems to be 0-2. This seems to make no difference if using
espeak and the espeakup connector. I'm not sure even if espeakup
supports different tonalities.

trigger_time
Don't know.

voice
Gets or sets the voice used by the synthesizer if the synthesizer can
speak in more than one voice. The range for the soft driver is
0-7. Note that while espeak supports multiple voices, this parameter
will not set the voice when the espeakup connector is used between
speakup and espeak.

vol
Gets or sets the volume of the speech synthesizer. Range is 0-9, with
zero being the softest, and nine being the loudest.

Additions, clarifications, and corrections are welcome and
appreciated.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net