[OSSNA] Intro to kernel hacking tutorial

loïc tourlonias loic.tourlonias at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 07:48:41 UTC 2019

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 4:51 AM Tobin C. Harding <me at tobin.cc> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am doing a tutorial at OSSNA in San Diego on getting into kernel
> hacking.  I'm only a couple of years deep into kernel hacking so I
> wanted to reach out to those more experienced than myself (and those
> less experienced).
>
> Is there any thing that you would really like to see covered in this
> tutorial?

I'm not involved in kernel hacking, but I've tried several times to
start writing patches. Because of time sharing issue I haven't get to
the end but a tutorial will be great.
The question I've asked me during my several tries is where can I be
useful (which topics, what I'm confident enough in to play with...).

Looking in drivers/staging wasn't any help in my case and making
kernel janitor is useful but not very well viewed as I've heard.

So I think that digging further in your tutorial on several ways to
start kernel hacking may be interesting.

> Current format/content: the tutorial will attempt to bridge the gap in
> the learning process between the 'first patch' page on kernelnewbies.org
> wiki and being 'comfortable' patching the kernel via LKML.  Outcome will
> (hopefully) be a small patch set into drivers/staging/.  (Don't worry
> Greg only one group got to this stage last time, you won't get flooded
> with patches :)

HTH and very enthusiast to read this tutorial.
Loïc