Work on iio: stating: frequency: ad9832

Alexandru Ardelean ardeleanalex at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 07:12:47 UTC 2019

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 7:13 PM Jonathan Cameron
<jonathan.cameron at huawei.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 11:25:29 -0300
> Marcelo Schmitt <marcelo.schmitt1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was looking for some work on staging: iio: ad9832 and made some
> > observations while reading the driver.
> >
> > Apparently it had no devicetree documentation so I tried to elaborate
> > one.
> > It uses a platform_data variable to load external clock
> > frequency (I tried to make it use linux's clock framework).
> Good.
>
> > Some device attributes don't seem to be standardized on
> > Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-iio and there's no specific ABI
> > for ad9832 nearby nor at staging/iio/Documentation. So maybe those
> > missing ABI could be documented.
> Beware. It's an old driver, so it may be that we actually want to change
> it's ABI rather than documenting what is there (I have haven't looked!)

This one can actually be coupled a bit with the AD9834 driver.
There's been some work on trying to move that one out of staging as well.

You can take a look at the patches sent for that driver.
They should be find-able on patchwork
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-iio/list/?series=&submitter=&state=*&q=ad9834&archive=both&delegate=

There are ideas worth borrowing from there.

The issue with the AD9834 [if i recall correctly] is that it doesn't
quite fit the classical IIO channel model.
Meaning, you can only activate the output of one channel at one moment
in time, and not both.