SKylake Edac support in linux 2.6.32.696 kernel build

Greg Kroah-Hartman gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Sun Sep 2 15:02:09 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep 02, 2018 at 03:45:01PM +0530, Nitin Gupta wrote:
> Hi Greg
>
> i am working on some project which is having huge changes and working
> on kernel-2.6.32-131.696
>  it will be very difficult to back port them into 4.8 .

Why 4.8?  That too is a totally unsupported kernel version.

Anyway, randomly pulling in a driver from a newer by many years, if not
almost a decade old (2.6.32 was released in 2009), is a very difficult
task, and usually almost impossible to go that far back.  That is not
how Linux is developed or meant to be worked with at all.

You are _really_ on your own here, only do this if you _really_ know
what you are doing.  Even then, I would not recommend you do this, as
you are guaranteeing to create a monstrosity that only you can support,
for forever, on your own.

good luck!