Which SPDX Identifier for files without explicit GPL version

Michael Straube straube.linux at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 19:58:55 UTC 2018

On 10/28/18 3:13 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 02:22:40PM +0100, Michael Straube wrote:

>>> Perhaps look up what version of the GPL that was originally contained in
>>> the tarball that this driver was bundled with?  I think that should be
>>> on their website somewhere...
>>>
>>> If not, it's v1, not a good thing, but all we have to go on.  Also, try
>>> emailing:

>>> That address :)
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> greg k-h
>>>

>> Ah, there is a file 'license' in the root directory of this driver (rtl8192e)
>> that I overlooked. It contains GPLv2. So v2 applies to all files with the above
>> shortened boiler plate?
>
> Yes.  So add a SPDX line to the file and delete the boiler plate text so
> we don't have this question again in the future.  Then delete that opy
> of the GPL so we don't have files we don't need :)
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Alright, thanks. :)

There are two files left with no GPL version mentioned and no reference to
a file with the license text. I'm unsure how to handle the two files, so better
asking to get it right. Are they also covered by the license file in the root
directory?

/* IEEE 802.11 SoftMAC layer
  * Copyright (c) 2005 Andrea Merello <andrea.merello at gmail.com>
  *
  * Mostly extracted from the rtl8180-sa2400 driver for the
  * in-kernel generic ieee802.11 stack.
  *
  * Few lines might be stolen from other part of the rtllib
  * stack. Copyright who own it's copyright
  *
  * WPA code stolen from the ipw2200 driver.
  * Copyright who own it's copyright.
  *
  * released under the GPL
  */

/* IEEE 802.11 SoftMAC layer
  * Copyright (c) 2005 Andrea Merello <andrea.merello at gmail.com>
  *
  * Mostly extracted from the rtl8180-sa2400 driver for the
  * in-kernel generic ieee802.11 stack.
  *
  * Some pieces of code might be stolen from ipw2100 driver
  * copyright of who own it's copyright ;-)
  *
  * PS wx handler mostly stolen from hostap, copyright who
  * own it's copyright ;-)
  *
  * released under the GPL
  */

Perhaps you could say what GPL version to use in the SPDX line, Andrea?

Thanks,
Michael