[patch 00/11] x86/vdso: Cleanups, simmplifications and CLOCK_TAI support

Marcelo Tosatti mtosatti at redhat.com
Sat Oct 6 20:27:33 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 03:15:32PM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> For better or for worse, I'm trying to understand this code.  So far,
> I've come up with this patch:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/luto/linux.git/commit/?h=x86/vdso-tglx&id=14fd71e12b1c4492a06f368f75041f263e6862bf
>
> Is it correct, or am I missing some subtlety?

The master clock, when initialized, has a pair

masterclockvalues=(TSC value, time-of-day data).

When updating the guest clock, we only update relative to (TSC value)
that was read on masterclock initialization.

See the following comment on x86.c:

/*
 *
 * Assuming a stable TSC across physical CPUS, and a stable TSC
 * across virtual CPUs, the following condition is possible.
 * Each numbered line represents an event visible to both
 * CPUs at the next numbered event.

When updating the "masterclockvalues" pair, all vcpus are
stopped.