[patch 00/11] x86/vdso: Cleanups, simmplifications and CLOCK_TAI support

Vitaly Kuznetsov vkuznets at redhat.com
Thu Oct 4 17:28:37 UTC 2018

Andy Lutomirski <luto at kernel.org> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:43 AM Marcelo Tosatti <mtosatti at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > Let me ask it more intelligently: when the "reenlightenment" IRQ
>> > happens, what tells KVM to do its own update for its guests?
>>
>> Update of what, and why it needs to update anything from IRQ?
>>
>> The update i can think of is from host kernel clocksource,
>> which there is a notifier for.
>>

> Unless I've missed some serious magic, L2 guests see kvmclock, not hv.
> So we have the following sequence of events:
>
>  - L0 migrates the whole VM.  Starting now, RDTSC is emulated to match
> the old host, which applies in L1 and L2.
>
>  - An IRQ is queued to L1.
>
>  - L1 acknowledges that it noticed the TSC change.

Before the acknowledgement we actually pause all guests so they don't
notice the change ....

>  RDTSC stops being emulated for L1 and L2.

.... and right after that we update all kvmclocks for all L2s and
unpause them so all their readings are still correct (see
kvm_hyperv_tsc_notifier()).

>  - L2 reads the TSC.  It has no idea that anything changed, and it
> gets the wrong answer.

I have to admit I forgot what happens if L2 uses raw TSC. I *think* that
we actually adjust TSC offset along with adjusting kvmclocks so the
reading is still correct. I'll have to check this.

All bets are off in case L2 was using TSC for time interval
measurements: frequency, of course, changes.

--
Vitaly