[GIT PULL] Staging/IIO driver patches for 4.19-rc1

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Aug 28 12:36:07 UTC 2018

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 10:38:17AM +0000, Ahmed S. Darwish wrote:
> [ re-send; forgotten lkml CC added; sorry ]
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 17:57:24 +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> [...]
> > addition of some new IIO drivers.  Also added was a "gasket" driver from
> > Google that needs loads of work and the erofs filesystem.
> >

> Why are we adding __a whole new in-kernel framework__ for
> developing basic user-space drivers?
>
> We already have a frameowrk for that, and it's UIO. [1] The UIO
> code is a very stable and simple subsystem; it's also heavily used
> in the embedded industry..

As Todd said, the code will end up being a simple UIO driver, if even
that big, in th end.  It is just going to take him a while to constantly
refactor things until he achieves that goal...

> I've looked at the gasket documentation [2], and the first user
> of this new in-kernel API [3], and this is almost replicating UIO
> it's not funny. [4] True, the gasket APIs adds some extra new
> conveniences (PCI BAR re-mapping, MSI, ..), but there's no
> technical reason this cannot be added to the UIO code instead.

{shh} That's my plan :)

> More-over, the exposed user-space API is just some ioctls. So if
> google hase some shipped user-space code that is using this,
> hopefully the driver can still be re-implemented through UIO
> without changing these bits..

Odds are there is shipped code with that, which is why it will evolve
over time this way and could not all happen at once.

thanks for reviewing it,