[patch 0/3] Re: tty contention resulting from tty_open_by_device export

Alan Cox gnomes at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jul 10 11:52:33 UTC 2017

On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 12:41:53 +0100
Okash Khawaja <okash.khawaja at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 10:38:03AM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > Overall, the idea looks sane to me.  Keeping userspace from opening a
> > tty that the kernel has opened internally makes sense, hopefully
> > userspace doesn't get too confused when that happens.  I don't think we
> > normally return -EBUSY from an open call, have you seen what happens
> > with apps when you do this (like minicom?)
> >
> I tested this wil minincom, picocom and commands like "echo foo >
> /dev/ttyS0". They all correctly report "Device or resource busy".
>
> I have addressed all the comments you made. I have also split the patch
> into three. Following is summary of each.

If the tty counts are being misreported then it would be better to fix
the code to actually manage the counts properly. The core tty code is
telling you that the tty is not in a valid state. While this is of
itself a good API to have, the underlying reference miscounting ought
IMHO to be fixed as well.

Also you don't need a new TTY_KOPENED flag as far as I can see. All tty's
have a usage count and active bit flags already. Use those.

Alan