[net-next 1/2] net: ethernet: slicoss: add slicoss gigabit ethernet driver

Lino Sanfilippo LinoSanfilippo at gmx.de
Tue Nov 15 22:54:43 UTC 2016

On 15.11.2016 23:39, Florian Fainelli wrote:

>>> This actually looks a lot like an MDIO write operation. The upper 16
>>> bits are the register, and the lower 16 bits are the data. What you
>>> don't have is the address. But maybe it is limited to one address.
>>>
>>> If the processor command reserved for read works in a similar way, you
>>> have enough to do an MDIO bus.
>>>

>> Ok, I will give it a try. Reading values via the application processor
>> is a bit awkward though, since it requires an address to a dma area as part of
>> the command and then the AP informs the driver via irq that the dma memory has
>> been written. So probably the irq handler will have to set some flag and
>> the mdio_read() function will have to poll for that flag in place of doing
>> bit-banging a register.
>
> That's a bit unusual compared to typical controllers that are usually
> memory-mapped and that you can either write to, read/poll to know about
> completion. I suppose that you could still have a mdiobus implementation
> that is able to read to/from PHYs by submitting a command to the AP,
> wait on a completion structure, and have the interrupt handler do the
> completion of the command?

Thats essentially what I meant by setting a flag in the irq handler. The mdio
function would have to check somehow if the irq has been fired (be it by means
of a flag or a completion that is set by the irq handler and checked by the
mdio function). So I agree that it should work (if reading via the AP command
is actually possible).

Lino