How should I use kernel-defined i2c structs in this driver

Antti Palosaari crope at iki.fi
Fri May 27 00:14:59 UTC 2016

On 05/26/2016 04:59 PM, Andrey Utkin wrote:
> Could anybody please give a hint - which kernel-defined i2c objects, and how
> many of them, I need to define and use to substitute these driver-defined
> functions i2c_read(), i2c_write() ?
> https://github.com/bluecherrydvr/linux/blob/release/tw5864/1.16/drivers/media/pci/tw5864/tw5864-config.c
> In a word, there's 4 chips with different addresses, to which this code
> communicates via main chip's dedicated registers.
> Do i need a single i2c_adapter or several?
> Do i need i2c_client entities?
> where should I put what is named "devid" here?
>
> Thanks in advance.

It depends how those are connected at hardware level. Quickly looking I
think "devid" is here to select proper I2C adapter. So I think there is
4 I2C adapters and each of those adapter has 1 slave device. Is that
correct? If yes, then register 4 I2C adapters and register single client
for each of those adapters.

regards
Antti

--