Driver for Magewell PCIe capture cards

Will Manley will at williammanley.net
Wed May 4 11:44:46 UTC 2016

Hi There

Magewell are a manufacturer of video-capture devices.  They have both
USB and PCIe devices.  The USB devices use the upstream uvcvideo driver
and Magewell currently provide proprietary drivers for their PCIe
products.

http://www.magewell.com/

I've approached Magewell about having upstream Linux drivers for these
PCIe devices and they are open to sharing hardware documentation and the
sources to their proprietary drivers under an NDA for the purpose of
developing an upstream Linux driver.  This is where I'm hoping that the
linux driver project can help out.

My interest in this is that I want to be using Magewell PCIe capture
cards in my company's products ( https://stb-tester.com/ ), but I don't
want to be stuck with proprietary drivers.  I'm hoping I can facilitate
because I have some limited kernel developer experience, but I wouldn't
be confident enough to write an entire v4l driver myself.

Please let me know what additional information I can provide to get this
process started.

Thanks

Will
---