[RFC 0/2] staging: ion: of_ion_device_get

Moritz Fischer moritz.fischer at ettus.com
Tue Mar 22 23:08:04 UTC 2016

Hi Laura,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Laura Abbott <labbott at redhat.com> wrote:

> In the past what drivers have done is a foo_ion_client_create which has the
> reference
> to the ion_device created from ion_device_create. Drivers then call the
> foo_ion_client_create function.

Oh, so you mean you add a function to create a client to the platform
device implementing
the heap and the export this function?

heap implements:

foo_create_client();

driver calls:

foo_create_client() ?

> Can you elaborate more on your sharing and allocation flow? This might
> suggest
> another idea.

Well I'll have a bunch of DMA streams to / from an FPGA that contains
DMA engines & accelerators. To that end
my userland software would allocate say 64 buffers, hand them over to
driver A to queue/deque them.

In future I might want to share these buffers between streams and with
other peripherals on the same bus,
which is why I looked at ION.

Thanks,

Moritz