xbox360bb: I want to make my out-of-tree module in-tree

Michael micolous at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 03:10:28 UTC 2016

Hi Greg,

On 13 February 2016 at 04:26, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>> 1. Include it as an extra kernel module. This is good because it can
>> live in "extra" for a while until it passes checks.
>
> As the driver seems to grab the same device as an existing kernel
> driver, no, that will not work, we don't want/allow drivers for the same
> hardware in the kernel tree at the same time as that causes massive
> confusion.

I don't think this is correct.

Xbox 360 controllers (of all types) live in vendor subclass 93.

The standard wired controller, and standard wireless controller dongle
use interface protocols 1 and 129 respectively.  The Big Button
controller uses interface protocol 4.

This is a little different to other special Xbox controllers.  For
example, the dance mat controllers which use a wired controller
protocol (1) and then have device-ID specific quirks to make them
allow normally impossible inputs (like pressing left and right at the
same time).

As a result, I don't think this clashes with xpad.  I can still use
standard Xbox controllers while my module is loaded, and I can still
use Big Button controllers while xpad is loaded.

> Also, try asking this on the linux-input mailing list

Alright, I'll follow up along this path and see if I can make
something sensible of it.

A rewrite is obviously not the path I would have liked, but it's
probably the better way in the long term.

Thanks,

Michael