HFI1 code duplication todo

Dennis Dalessandro dennis.dalessandro at intel.com
Thu Nov 12 21:13:18 UTC 2015

The major todo for the hfi1 driver in staging is getting rid of the verbs
code duplication between ipath, qib, and now hfi1. The ipath driver has been
deprecated and is going to be deleted soon. So that leaves qib and hfi. To
address this we have proposed rdmavt which will be a common kmod that
provides software RDMA verbs support. qib and hfi1 will both use this as
well as other forthcoming drivers such as soft-roce. See this thread for
some details: http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-rdma/msg29922.html.

Since that initial RFC we have been accumulating patches in a GitHub repo
for an early look at the development. At some point soon we want to actually
start posting the patches to the mailing list. This is where it gets tricky.
The code basically not only adds a new driver but it modifies two existing
ones, heavily. To make it more murky one driver is in staging the other is
in the usual drivers/infiniband tree.

The question is, how do we go about this logistically due to the 2 drivers
being in separate sub-trees?

Greg, Doug,
As the maintainers of the two trees involved we'd kind of like to get your
thoughts on this.

Thanks

-Denny