[RFC] Driver for Arduino-as-I2C-adapter

Angelo Compagnucci angelo.compagnucci at gmail.com
Tue May 19 05:38:30 UTC 2015

Dear Bernhard Kraft,

> Hi,
>
> On 2015-05-18 15:00, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
>
>> There are many cheap I2C adapter projects (mostly USB though). One of
>> the simple ones (i2c-tiny-usb) is included in the kernel  [...]
>

> I knew of the OpenSource project i2c-tiny-usb. But sadly the hardware ist
> not sold anywhere (At least I didn't find vendors).
>

>> As regarding to cheap serial line based adapters, there are two I have
>> seen before [...]
>

> None of them seems to have kernel drivers available. So I could stick to my
> own homebrewn Arduino solution.
>

>> I am afraid handling serial devices within a i2c kernel driver might be
>> tricky and purists probably dislike the idea.
>

> Currently there is at least one driver for such a case already in the
> kernel: drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-taos-evm.c
>
> I found it by "grep serio.h" in i2c/busses/. But this driver rather only
> supports SMBus which is kind of subset of I2C. Or you could call it I2C with
> more strict requirements upon timing and protocol.
>
> In fact this would have been the driver I would have based my work on if
> someone said: Go on, this is a good thing to include in the kernel.

Personally, I find the idea very interesting, Arduino is so common
that using it a usb/i2c bridge could benefit really a lot of people.
Actually I'm think also to spi!

> But for now I think I will just publish the Arduino sketch and a sample
> implementation on how to access I2C devices with it.

Probably we should stick to other protocol driver implementation, but
from a rapid analisys, this will be the second in kernel serial to i2c
adapter, so I think there is not such a string standard protocol in
this field.

Please publish your sketch, I think making the driver is really not a
complex matter!
Count on me for any help, I really like the idea to have my name on
such an interesting project!

Sincerely, Angelo

Profile: http://it.linkedin.com/in/compagnucciangelo