Clarification for the use of additional fields in the message body

Frans Klaver fransklaver at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 08:23:32 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 9:54 AM, SF Markus Elfring
<elfring at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>> No need to try and preserve it.
>
> I find that it might occasionally help to share and keep the record
> on timestamps about the evolution for an original update suggestion.

I think that as far as these kernel mailing lists are concerned, the
date of the update suggestion is the date on which you submitted the
patch, rather than the date you originally committed it to your local
tree. If you wish to keep track of this evolution for yourself, or
wish to share it, you're better off stashing it somewhere in a
(public) git repo that you control. If you wish, you can always make
mention of that repo below the ---, just above the diffstat. If you
insist on placing the date somewhere, you can also put the date there
if you wish. It'll be ignored by git when applied.

Cheers,
Frans