doubt about sm7xxfb

Sudip Mukherjee sudipm.mukherjee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 06:28:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:36:36PM +0800, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 07:37:47PM +0530, Sudip Mukherjee wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> > we have this sm7xxfb in drivers/staging now which is supporting SM710,
> > SM712, SM721 and SM722. I am also working on another new hardware
> > SM750, which will be ready for staging in next 1 -2 weeks.
> > this SM750 is entirely different hardware and these two drivers will
> > have nothing in common.
>
> Then make a new driver!
ok, but then won't the name sm7xxfb will be misleading?

> But why would a new driver go into staging?  Anything new you create
> should just go into the "correct" part of the kernel.  Don't waste your
> time on staging.

this code has been given to me by Silicon Motion, and will require a few changes before it can be used with current kernel version. And to merge it into video/fbdev it will require many changes and cleanups. But to be frank this will have much less work to do compared to sm7xxfb, but as this is not part of my dayjob i can not give my full time to it. So I was thinking of staging.

regards
sudip