vnc over ssh with tp-link tl-wn725n causes laptop to freeze

dborlaug.t at gmail.com dborlaug.t at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:46:18 UTC 2015

Dear Mr. Finger,

Thank you kindly for your help and patience.  I'm sure you explain to
write 'uname -r' to many noobs such as myself, your patient instruction
is appreciated; thanks for teaching.

output of 'uname -r':
3.2.0-v-amd64

I will try the v4.1.8_9499 github and report back.  Thank you kindly for
this info.

>From what I can tell from your email there is an additional in-kernel
driver.  Somehow I missed this.  Before using the install method I
described, I did plug the device in, and i didn't see any pop-ups or get
any notifications after running ifconfig (no wlan0 posted).  Maybe I did
something wrong?  If v4.1.8_9499 github does not solve my problem, can
you kindly guide me to a link showing how to run the in-kernel version
or provide some other form of guidance?

Your assumptions about my prior OS are spot on.  The malware, the need
to restart every few days, among many other reasons is why I made the
switch to linux, and I am supremely enjoying it.  I have found debian to
be quite useful and have already switched my primary workstation and a
number of other machines.  I am definitely seeing better up time and
increased productivity for the simple tasks I run.  Much of this is
thanks to the great community such as yourself and Mr Carpenter, thanks
for helping!

I built the code in an administrator account in /home/<user> using sudo.
I could not get it to build without sudo.  Hopefully this isnt too far
off, but I'm sure there is more to learn about users and security
permissions.  Definitely do not want to boggle my machine.

I will report back regarding my v4.1.8_9499 github progress.

Kind regards,
anon