Time keeps on slipping... on Hyper-V

Sitsofe Wheeler sitsofe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 13:28:28 UTC 2014

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 09:40:42AM +0000, Thomas Shao wrote:
> > > On Tue, Sep 23, Thomas Shao wrote:
> > >
> > > with the host clock using host time sample. By default it is
> > > disabled, because we still recommend user to configure NTP for time

That post is problematic and not quite enough because it doesn't say "we
recommend you always configure an external time source for a guest" but
rather gives a more complicated statement saying "because guest time
drifts we have a time synchronisation service that will sort things out.
If you happen to be running a domain controller we recommend you
configure regular synchronisation to an external time source in
addition". This leads to questions like: if my (Linux) guest's sole
purpose is to run a web server am I in the domain controller situation
(domain controllers have to re-serve time so perhaps they are special)?
It also doesn't cover the "clock drift is so bad ntpd can't correct it"
issue.

Have you seen this document on TechNet -
http://blogs.technet.com/b/enterprise_admin/archive/2010/04/04/linux-on-hyper-v-timesync.aspx
"With the new Integration Services, Linux virtual machines can!

TimeSync means that you don’t have to hassle with configur[ing]
network-based time sync for your Linux VMs on Hyper-V…they can get the
correct time from the host!"

This document gives simpler advice looks quite compelling at first
glance.

> We are working on the document about Time Sync on Hyper-V to cover
> both Linux and Windows.

The sooner you can get such an official document out the better. All
sources of guest time synchronisation information (including Microsoft
blogs and non-Microsoft Q&A sites) need updating so they say the same
(correct!) thing in a clear way.

For the meantime can you state what you believe the recommend practice
is for Linux Hyper-V guests with regards to time synchronisation?

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/