Staging: unisys: base drivers complete

Romer, Benjamin M Benjamin.Romer at unisys.com
Mon Sep 15 17:14:49 UTC 2014

> Have you actually ran the checkpatch.pl tool on this code?  You still
> have a lot of cleanup to do (hint, typedefs for drivers are not
> allowed...)

Yes, I've been using checkpatch.pl a lot, though admittedly I did not
know about --strict. I'll start addressing the check issues as well as
the warnings and errors.

About the "WARNING: do not add new typedefs" messages that are
generated, I have a question about what typedefs are permitted. It's
easy enough to replace "typedef enum {...} x;" with "enum x {...}", but
there are a lot of typedef struct declarations throughout the s-Par
driver code used to give clearer names to internally-used structures. I
don't know of any kernel-defined types being renamed anymore, and when I
did a grep of the driver tree to see what other drivers were doing in
this area, I found lots of drivers with "typedef struct" in them.

Are we restricted from doing *any* typedefs at all? If not, could you
give me a good guideline to follow?

> And what bout the TODO file?  The first 3 items are not completed.  Why
> even have a TODO file if you aren't going to look at it?  :(

I'd like to expand it to include as much as we can, so when people ask
me "when will our drivers be done?" or "what can I work on?" I have
something they can read. :) It also helps us fix up the code we haven't
submitted yet, and if we can get it into shape before you have to see
it, that saves you a lot of time checking it as well.

I've definitely underestimated the work to do on cleanup because we
weren't aware of --strict, but I thought we had gotten rid of all of the
proc entries and moved anything important to sysfs/debugfs. The major
numbers issue was next.

-- Ben