UART driver development

Adrien PEYROUTY ad.peyrouty at hotmail.fr
Wed Sep 10 14:20:27 UTC 2014

Hello all,

I am currently working on a UART driver for linux.
I am developping a new architecture on which I have 3 uart ports.
In this architecture, I know that there will be 3 UARTs, and this driver has to be compiled with the kernel, it mustn't be a module driver.

The exact thing I want to do is :

1) use the first uart as console for the kernel, and for the shell at the end of the boot process

2) develop a UART driver for the two others UART port so that the user can access them from /dev/ttyS1 and /dev/ttyS2

I am really confused. What need I to do ? I read lots of documentation on both the web and on some books, but I still don't understand what is a uart_driver, a tty_driver, a platform_driver or even a line discipline.

How to register the right driver to make it appear on /dev ?

When the user will open the file descriptor in /dev and complete some operations like write, read or ioctl on this file, which function will be called in my driver ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards.