Addition of a wifi kernel module to the linux source tree

Greg Kroah-Hartman gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Sat Nov 29 19:16:01 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 11:03:31AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 3:35 AM, Parth Sane <laerdevstudios at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Linus,
> > A wifi kernel module has to be added to the linux source tree.
> >
> >    http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/mt7610u-usb/
> >
> > I've made an issue for the raspberry pirepository:
> >
> >    https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/730
>
> So to add this, somebody would have to make sure it works with the
> current kernel, add it as a patch for the staging tree, be willing to
> help test and help clean it up (because it's likely in bad shape), and
> submit it to the staging people.
>
> Greg and the staging people can probably give better description of
> exactly what they want/need in order for something like this to be
> merged. To quote the "Process" documentation:
>
>   "Greg Kroah-Hartman currently maintains the staging tree.  Drivers that
>    still need work are sent to him, with each driver having its own
>    subdirectory in drivers/staging/.  Along with the driver source files, a
>    TODO file should be present in the directory as well.  The TODO file lists
>    the pending work that the driver needs for acceptance into the kernel
>    proper, as well as a list of people that should be Cc'd for any patches to
>    the driver.  Current rules require that drivers contributed to staging
>    must, at a minimum, compile properly"
>
> Greg? Comments, hints, helpful pointers?

That about describes it.  Parth, do you have the hardware for this
driver?  Do you want to make up a patch for the kernel tree to add the
driver to drivers/staging/ or do you need others to do that?

And what specific USB device id do you have?  This might just need to be
added to an existing driver somewhere.  Ralink / Mediatek are known for
offering up whole new drivers for just a few new device ids.