Addition of a wifi kernel module to the linux source tree

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Nov 29 19:03:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 3:35 AM, Parth Sane <laerdevstudios at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Linus,
> A wifi kernel module has to be added to the linux source tree.
>
>    http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads/mt7610u-usb/
>
> I've made an issue for the raspberry pirepository:
>
>    https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/730

So to add this, somebody would have to make sure it works with the
current kernel, add it as a patch for the staging tree, be willing to
help test and help clean it up (because it's likely in bad shape), and
submit it to the staging people.

Greg and the staging people can probably give better description of
exactly what they want/need in order for something like this to be
merged. To quote the "Process" documentation:

  "Greg Kroah-Hartman currently maintains the staging tree.  Drivers that
   still need work are sent to him, with each driver having its own
   subdirectory in drivers/staging/.  Along with the driver source files, a
   TODO file should be present in the directory as well.  The TODO file lists
   the pending work that the driver needs for acceptance into the kernel
   proper, as well as a list of people that should be Cc'd for any patches to
   the driver.  Current rules require that drivers contributed to staging
   must, at a minimum, compile properly"

Greg? Comments, hints, helpful pointers?

                            Linus