Why does ion_cma_allocate need GFP_HIGHUSER | __GFP_ZERO flags?

Laura Abbott lauraa at codeaurora.org
Fri Nov 14 01:24:02 UTC 2014

On 11/12/2014 11:18 PM, Gioh Kim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering why dma_alloc_coherent needs GFP_HIGHUSER | __GFP_ZERO flags in ion_cma_allocate().
>
> I think dma_alloc_coherent can go to __dma_alloc if the system has CMA area.
> If __GFP_WAIT flag is set, it allocates memory from atomic pool.
> So I think calling dma_alloc_coherent with __GFP_WAIT is enough.
>
> And can I get zero-filled-memory from CMA if I set __GFP_ZERO?

If we are actually using CMA, the GFP flags don't make much of a difference. If
we didn't have CMA, using GFP_HIGHUSER would still be appropriate. The memory
is going to userspace so the user part is necessary and there should be no need
for a lowmem mapping so highmem can be used. __GFP_ZERO might be redundant since
the dma layer zeros memory anyway but it's probably safe.

I think the flags should be fine as is.

Thanks,
Laura

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project