Fwd: Re: Anybody working on rtl8712?

Kristina Martšenko kristina.martsenko at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 15:45:07 UTC 2014

On 20/06/14 23:52, Christian Lamparter wrote:
> On Friday, June 20, 2014 09:19:07 PM Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
>> Kristina wrote:
>>
>>> I'm helping Greg do a bit of cleanup in the staging tree. I noticed that
>>> nobody seems to have worked towards moving rtl8712 out of staging in
>>> over a year. Are there any plans to clean it up and move it out soon?
>>> Because otherwise we're going to have to delete the driver, as we don't
>>> want staging to become a permanent place for unfinished code.
>> Christian Lamparter <chunkeey at googlemail.com> is working on a new driver
>> based on mac80211: https://github.com/chunkeey/rtl8192su

Thanks for pointing that out and forwarding the email to Christian.

> rtl8192su development is chugging along. It just doesn't take place on
> driverdev list. The driver reached "feature parity" with rtl8192cu for
> some time ago.

Great, thanks for letting me know. If you plan to keep working on it, do
you think it would be a good idea to add yourself and a link to your
github to the staging driver's TODO file? That way people who find it
and want to work on it can join your effort, instead of starting their own.

> But as with rtl8192cu, I would recommend adding just a friendly "printk".

I'm not sure what printk you're referring to.

> Yup, Realtek really outdid themselves with the USB devices.

:)

Thanks,
Kristina