Eudyptula Challenge (Task 10)

Jason Cooper jason at lakedaemon.net
Mon Jul 28 15:46:55 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 05:53:19AM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Can you folks please stop this challenge Bullshit?  More checkpatch
> fixes is not something we'll need at all.

Greg and Dan have previously said that the staging tree is a good place
for newcomers to submit checkpatch cleanup patches.  However, I think
there are a few tweaks that could be made to the Eudyptula Challenge to
avoid this noise/frustration:

  - No need to send to lkml, the staging tree ML is probably fine.

  - Don't mention Eudyptula Challenge, it's not relevant to the patch.
     * It looks like you want a cookie.  We have none.

  - Submit the patch to the Challenge admins first for review.  This
    patch submission should have never made the cut.
     - No S-o-B
     - MIME attachment
     - Subject line is just wrong
     - Full name missing in From:

I've worked with several participants of the challenge and never saw
this many things wrong with a patch submission.  Either the admins are
dropping the ball, or this participant got loose somehow. :)

It makes me wonder if they should start with a git workflow from day
one?  It would prevent a lot of these avoidable mistakes.

thx,

Jason.