Anybody working on tidspbridge?

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Jul 10 16:11:18 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 08:54:18AM +0300, Ivaylo Dimitrov wrote:

> On  9.07.2014 10:07, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> >* Suman Anna <s-anna at ti.com> [140708 11:40]:
> >>Hi Peter,

> >>I agree with Greg here. In fact, the current TODO does not do enough
> >>justice to the amount of work required to make it even work on the
> >>latest kernel. Most of the TIers who worked on this driver have moved on
> >>as Kristina would have figured with her bounced emails. So I do suggest
> >>that this driver be deleted from the kernel tree. If there are enough
> >>number of folks using it (not sure how many are out there), it can be
> >>worked on out-of-tree and brought back in a cleaner fashion rather than
> >>keeping a broken stale driver in the kernel.
> >
> >I agree, not much has improved with this driver since it got added into
> >staging except just compile fixes.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Tony
>
> Well, recently I've sent a couple of patches which implement stuff from TODO
> [1]. However, with the migration to DT, my focus now is to have a
> kernel/userspace that boots at all and this leaves no free cycles for DSP.
> Maybe tidspbridge can be left in staging until DT migration is finished,
> that way me (and maybe other people) will have the time needed to try to
> implement what remains in TODO. Also, keep in mind there will (hopefully) be
> another omap3 end-user device released by the end of the year (Neo900),
> which most probably will gain more developers interested in fixing the DSP
> driver.

I'm really tired of people saying, "maybe sometime in the future we will
work on this" for this driver.  It's not the first time I've heard it,
and it has _never_ come true.  Honestly, I really don't believe it will
ever happen, given that TI doesn't care about this code at all.

If in the future, someone does want to work on this, a simple revert of
the patch that removes the driver will be all that is needed.  Let's do
that instead of hoping that sometime, someone, somewhere, will do this
work.