[RFC] [HELP] [WMI] Media keys on MSI GE60 (patching msi_wmi for it)

Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov mva at mva.name
Fri Jul 4 08:05:48 UTC 2014

Hi there!

I'm trying to modify msi_wmi driver to get it work with mediakeys on my MSI
GE60 laptop.

By default, I get "Unknown event received" message.

For now, I diagnosed that event, that every key press produces has 0x03 (
ACPI_TYPE_BUFFER?) type, instead of 0x01 (ACPI_TYPE_INTEGER) which in-kernel
msi_wmi module wants.

Further diagnostic with that code:

232 ›   } else if (obj && obj->type == ACPI_TYPE_BUFFER) {
241
243 ›   } else

(only patched part)
Gives me following info:
Wen I press on any of media-keys — I get the same eventcode (and every time I
get if(!key) error. Moreover, evencode value changes in time (something about
4 seconds), so, if I'll press some key many times, eventcode value will be
changed after 4s, but it will not change if I press another mediakeys.

Can anybody advice me, why can I experience such behaviour?

And is it a way to get mediakeys working  without patching DSDT (last time I
did that I brake my bluetooth module in that way, that even rfkill was unable
to enable it :P)?

--
Best regsrds,
mva