[RFC]: staging: dgap

Dan Carpenter dan.carpenter at oracle.com
Tue Feb 25 15:00:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 09:44:40AM -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> I have a couple basic questions concerning the Digi International
> staging/dgap driver about how I might be able to help clean it up
> more.
>
> 1. This driver has/had a built-in tracing system that during driver
> and board development that I'm sure was useful to Digi International
> at the time. Since this driver and board are basically mature, (at
> least by Digi's standards), can I assume that this code should be
> removed.

Yes.

> 2. When finally getting to the point of running the whole source and
> include file though checkpatch, should I go in small steps fixing
> specific checkpatch problem types such as returns, white space, 80
> char limits, etc, by individual patches? Or would a one shot patch
> fixing all that checkpatch finds be OK?

One shot is not OK.  One thing at a time.  Normally for checkpatch.pl
it means one type of cleanup at a time, but that's just something we
tell newbies because a lot of people struggle with understanding where
the line between one thing and multiple things is.  (Newbies mess up on
both sides of the line).

No one wants to review a massive change.

If it *only* changes whitespace then a many line patch is not too hard
to review.

regards,
dan carpenter