[GIT PULL] Staging driver patches for 3.19-rc1

Richard Weinberger richard at nod.at
Mon Dec 15 19:04:53 UTC 2014

Am 15.12.2014 um 19:44 schrieb Greg KH:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 07:36:00PM +0100, Richard Weinberger wrote:

>>> A piece of "shite" that works for the domain it is in, and people rely
>>> on it.
>>
>> Using this argument we could merge every singe vendor tree too.
>> The crap they carry works for their domain too... ;-)
>
> That's a false-argument, you know that.  This code falls into the
> "distros have been using it and it is proven to work" requirement that
> we have often made for new features.
>
> Fact is, this is useful code, in this area.  In the domain it is used
> in, it works properly, and the abi is sufficient.  Yes, it's ugly in
> spaces, and insecure if used outside of Android, but that's ok for the
> users of the code.

Let's discuss this while having a few beers.
It is going to be philosophic.

>>> I never said that Google was the one working on a replacement.
>>
>> Okay. Who is working on it?
>
> Some other company, it's not my place to pre-announce projects, sorry.

Yeah, this is sad. :-\

>> Is there a change that Android will pick it up?
>
> Yes.

So then wait until this happens and ignore binder.

>>> Because code in staging either has to progress forward to be merged out
>>> of staging, or it gets deleted.  Just leaving it in staging for 2-4 more
>>> years doesn't mean anything different from moving it to
>>> drivers/android/, if I'm still maintaining it, right?  What it does say
>>> is that people rely on this thing, probably you do as well, so let's
>>> mark it as such.

>>> It's already considered an "ABI" and removing it is hard, nothing has
>>> changed there.
>>
>> Since when is stuff in staging considered ABI?
>
> Since a few hundred million devices use it and we have userspace code
> that relies on it and can't be changed?

It is news to me that these devices use a mainline kernel.

I'm well a aware of the fact that there are a lot of android devices out there.
But why moving binder into the core kernel?
What is the benefit?
Does Google even care?

Thanks,
//richard