[GIT PULL] Staging driver patches for 3.19-rc1

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Dec 15 18:44:07 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 07:36:00PM +0100, Richard Weinberger wrote:

> Am 15.12.2014 um 19:30 schrieb Greg KH:

> >> I don't understand this kind of logic.
> >> a) Binder is considered a piece of shite.
> >
> > A piece of "shite" that works for the domain it is in, and people rely
> > on it.
>
> Using this argument we could merge every singe vendor tree too.
> The crap they carry works for their domain too... ;-)

That's a false-argument, you know that.  This code falls into the
"distros have been using it and it is proven to work" requirement that
we have often made for new features.

Fact is, this is useful code, in this area.  In the domain it is used
in, it works properly, and the abi is sufficient.  Yes, it's ugly in
spaces, and insecure if used outside of Android, but that's ok for the
users of the code.

> >> b) Google is working on a (hopefully sane) replacement.
> >
> > I never said that Google was the one working on a replacement.
>
> Okay. Who is working on it?

Some other company, it's not my place to pre-announce projects, sorry.

> Is there a change that Android will pick it up?

Yes.

> >> Why moving it out of staging then? What is the benefit?
> >> Keep it there for more 2-3 years and then remove it.
> >
> > Because code in staging either has to progress forward to be merged out
> > of staging, or it gets deleted.  Just leaving it in staging for 2-4 more
> > years doesn't mean anything different from moving it to
> > drivers/android/, if I'm still maintaining it, right?  What it does say
> > is that people rely on this thing, probably you do as well, so let's
> > mark it as such.
> >
> >> If you move it now out of staging into the core kernel it will be considered ABI
> >> and getting rid of it can be hard...
> >
> > It's already considered an "ABI" and removing it is hard, nothing has
> > changed there.
>
> Since when is stuff in staging considered ABI?

Since a few hundred million devices use it and we have userspace code
that relies on it and can't be changed?