My new email + some notes on mt7601

Greg Kroah-Hartman gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Sun Dec 7 05:06:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 04:38:16AM +0000, parthsane at laer.in wrote:
> On 2014-12-06 17:51, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> >On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 09:54:29AM +0000, parthsane at laer.in wrote:
> >>Hi again,
> >>Please note my new email parthsane at laer.in . Also If you guys don't know
> >>there's a working source supplied by mediatek for mt7601. Please find
> >>the
> >>attached tarball. Also please apply this patch I mentioned about
> >>earlier.
> >>It's at https://gist.github.com/Boggartfly/b18bd86b8eb60fabe160
> >>
> >>rt_linux.h has the following path in the driver directory.
> >>
> >>/include/os/rt_linux.h
> >>
> >>After you replace the patched file everything works and compiles
> >>successfully!! Any pointers on what should be done to make it kernel
> >>compatible?
> >
> >Let's wait to see if we have a "real" driver support working in the tree
> >soon before adding this huge driver to staging, where it will take a
> >long time to clean up and get merged "properly".
> >
> >thanks,
> >
> >greg k-h
>
> Hi Greg,
> I actually wanted to help out cleaning the driver but I have no idea where
> to start(my first patch, but I can code). What exactly do you mean by "real"
> support? If you know someone I could collaborate with them. I really want to
> help out, but I don't know what you're looking out for. Lemme know.

Let's let the existing rt2x00 driver developers weigh in here.  It might
just be a matter of adding support for the new device to the existing
driver, and if so, we don't want to add a whole new, horrible vendor
driver to the kernel tree.  If it turns out it's a totally different
device that doesn't fit into the existing driver infrastructure, then we
can add the new driver and start from there.

So let's hear what Stanislaw and Helmut say we should do first.