[PANIC, hyperv] BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffff880077800004 (hv_ringbuffer_write)

Dexuan Cui decui at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 29 03:39:40 UTC 2014

Hi Sitsofe,
This seems a hv_netvsc specific issue(?)
IMO it's better to open a new thread.

However, I tried vcpus=1, 2 and 4 for 5 times respectively but couldn't
reproduce the same issue(surely I used all of KY's patches, including the
page-aligned-input-parameter-for-hypercall one)
I used a workload of dd-ing and scp-ing big files.

> > I'm not sure.
> > If we trust the hypervisor, I would guess in hv_post_message()
> > 1) We'd better add "aligned_msg->reserved = 0;"
> > 2) Should we make sure  "aligned_msg->payload_size % 8 == 0"? IMO
> >    aligned_msg->payload is an array of 8-byte.
>
> In that case why would payload_size not be a multiple of 8 - can it
> change due to debug padding? If so wouldn't its start have had to be
> misaligned?

I found in some normal code path, e.g.,
vmbus_open() -> vmbus_post_msg() -> ...
(here the payload size is sizeof(struct vmbus_channel_open_channel),
i.e., 148, not a multiple of 8), the payload_size is not a multiple of 8.
I don't think this causes the issue here, but I think we'd better double
check this and see if there is a potential issue or not.

Thanks,
-- Dexuan