[GIT PULL] Staging driver patches for 3.17-rc1

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Aug 5 04:31:43 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 06:13:25AM +0200, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> > Lots of things in here, over 2000 patches, but the best part is this:
> >  1480 files changed, 39070 insertions(+), 254659 deletions(-)
> >
> > Thanks to the great work of Kristina Martšenko, 14 different staging
> > drivers have been removed from the tree as they were obsolete and no
> > one
> > was willing to work on cleaning them up.
>
> -ENOPARSE.
>
> Define "as they were obsolete and no one was willing to work on cleaning
> them up."?
>
> *Either* they're obsolete (due to better alternatives available, in the
> standard case), in which case they indeed can be removed on the spot,
> *or* they are expected to become full-service drivers and thus need cleanup.
> Which is it?

No one was willing to do the work to get these drivers out of the
staging directory.  One had been broken for a number of kernel releases
with no one even noticing.

> In the case of keucr (a driver where I happen to own hardware,
> and where AFAIK this driver is required),
> I really don't see "nobody was willing to work on cleaning them up.",
> as git log tells.

Don't confuse "coding style cleanups done in a drive-by fashion" with
"willing to do the real work to get this driver merged out of the
staging tree."

> Admittedly there probably was no substantial rework,
> but it did have many janitorial changes, and some changes
> only 4 months ago even (a time frame which IMHO does not justify
> removing a driver wholesale, with the effect of certain users to not
> be able to use them then).
>
> Oh well, yet another driver where it became more difficult rather than
> easier to make forward progress.

If you are willing to do the work, I will gladly revert the patch and
look forward to patches to fix the remaining changes.