[v3.11][Regression] HID: hyperv: convert alloc+memcpy to memdup

Joseph Salisbury joseph.salisbury at canonical.com
Mon Sep 16 20:49:29 UTC 2013

On 09/16/2013 04:38 PM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 01:42:35PM -0400, Joseph Salisbury wrote:
>> Reverting the patch changes the driver back to useing kzalloc() and
>> memcpy() instead of  kmemdup.  Doing so has uncovered another bug, which
>> causes an oops on memcpy()[1].  We are in the process of bisecting that
>> one now and will provide the results.
> The two bugs are the same it's that the code has shifted a little.  Mark
> the commit as buggy and continue with the git bisect.
>
> regards,
> dan carpenter
Can you explain a little further?  Mark commit a4a23f6 as bad?  An
initial bisect already reported that was the first bad commit, so it
can't be marked bad.  The oops on memcpy() happens after commit a4a23f6
is reverted.  The oops on memcpy() did not happen before a4a23f6 was
committed, so I assume this new oops was introduced by a change later.

Right now I'm bisecting down the oops on memcpy() by updating the bisect
with good or bad, depending if the test kernel hit the oops.  I then
revert a4a23f6, so that revert is the HEAD of the tree each time before
building the kernel again(As long as the commit spit out by bisect is
after when a4a23f6 was introduced).

Thanks,

Joe