Possibility for an external staging tree - bring up quality code

Greg Kroah-Hartman gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Mar 28 22:53:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 01:13:23PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

<huge snip>

> This has me thinking if it makes sense to have an external driver tree
> for staging drivers but lead by engineers who already know the rules
> of upstream, they just want to get things done faster.

That's called a "fork" or "tree" or whatever you want to call it, and
all of us have them, and end up merging stuff to mainline through them
eventually.

There is no need to "codify" something that we all have been doing for
years.  If someone thinks they can "work faster" in their own tree,
great for them, have them do it.  I don't see what I need to agree or
disagree with here to keep anyone from doing such a thing.

Or am I just totally missing something here?