VME-driver: Memory leak in module 'vme.c', function 'vme_dma_free'

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Jun 5 17:58:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 05:24:08PM +0000, De Roo, Steven wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 09:57:22AM +0000, De Roo, Steven wrote:
> > > Dear Martyn,
> > >
> > > I think there is a memory leak in module 'vme.c', function 'vme_dma_free'.
> > > 'kfree(resource)' is not called after unlocking the mutex...
> > >
> > > I have no experience in patching Linux stuff, so would you please be
> > > so kind to patch this ?
> >
> > As you already fixed this, why not send in a patch for it, after reading Documentation/SubmittingPatches, so we can properly credit you with the fix?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h
>
> Dear Greg,
>
> To be honest, finding this leak was already at the limit of my
> knowledge/experience with Linux & drivers.
> I truly hope that somebody can review my input,
> and that a patch will be submitted if appropriate.

As you have already made a change to the kernel, can you just send us
that change?  Diff the kernel tree against a "clean" kernel.org tree you
originally started with, and send us the output.

For example, if your source tree is in ~/tmp/kernel.mine/, uncompress
the original source code in ~/tmp/kernel.original/ and then run:
	diff -Naur -X ~/tmp/kernel.original/Documentation/dontdiff ~/tmp/kernel.original/ ~/tmp/kernel.mine/ > my.patch
then email us the my.patch file.