Bug in staging vme_user

Martyn Welch martyn.welch at ge.com
Mon Feb 25 09:44:48 UTC 2013

On 21/02/13 08:42, ternaryd wrote:> The point is, that vme_user must not be
compiled into the kernel, it
> needs to be built as a module. Otherwise, vme_user is executed before
> vme_tsi148 (and probably any other hardware driver) and hence can't
> find any device at all.

That shouldn't be a problem, if this is the case it's a bug.

> I've come so far to understand, that a master window is configured by
> opening /dev/bus/vme/m0 and making an ioctl call with the
> VME_SET_MASTER command. But besides 0, any base address (VME space) for
> that window is rejected. Would it be possible, that someone posted a
> few lines, showing how it is done correctly? As vme_user was used for
> debugging vme_tsi148, there should be a way to set up such a window and
> write/read a few demo values, right?

Sending ioctl calls to /dev/bus/vme/m0 will setup master window 0.

Are you using A16?

The master windows on the tsi148 have to be 16-bit aligned, so for A16 address
space, the master windows must be setup to see the whole A16 address space.

IIRC 2 of the slave windows can do A16, these must be 4-bit aligned when using
A16. The requirements for A32 and A64 are different and covered in the
hardware manual.

Martyn

--
Martyn Welch (Lead Software Engineer)  | Registered in England and Wales
GE Intelligent Platforms               | (3828642) at 100 Barbirolli Square